Still got the baking bug? Try this recipe from our nutrition advisor and registered Vet Nurse, Ness for yummy fish cake bites for sensitive cats and dogs.
Wednesday 20th May 2020
What you will need
- - Generous helping of white fish (e.g. haddock, cod or coley)
- - Gluten free flour (or potato flour; you can also use mashed potato for softer treats)
- - One large egg – omit this if egg allergy is known or suspected
- - Dollop of olive oil
- - A little dill or parsley (remember never include chives as your herbs as they are in the onion family – onions are poisonous to dogs)
- - One small garlic clove (garlic, although also an allium is fine for dogs in small quantities – it’s even believed to be a good flea deterrent!)
What you need to do
- Preheat the oven (to about 180 degrees C).
- Prepare the fish and carefully remove all bones.
- Pop the fish, egg, oil, herbs and garlic in the blender and mix well. When the mixture is reasonably smooth, tip it out into a mixing bowl and add the flour. Mix again until all the flour is folded in.
- Transfer to a baking tray lined with grease proof paper.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes (the time will vary depending on individual ovens and quantities).
- Leave the treats to cool (away from the dogs).
- Cut into bite size pieces (depending on your pets bite! E.g. tiny bites for cats, larger for medium to large dogs!).